Thursday, July 5, 2012

Terrible Consequences


I recently made a blog that was called, “Overfishing”. I talked about how overfishing in our society today is a major problem. I would now like to take the time to talk further about the situation. Most people do not know what the implications are of causing major extinctions of fish species in the ocean. Sometimes I wonder if we will ever slow down before we run into an uncontrollable situation. Sometimes I wonder if we will all continue our way of living until we completely crash the human race, and the world’s other complex species, straight to the ground. If we overfish small sized fish then the medium sized fish will die because they won’t have anything to eat. Then the large fish will die because they will also not have anything to eat. Then the algae, plankton, parasites, and other simple tiny organisms will thrive. Essentially, we will replace all of the complex living creatures with tiny simple living creatures. The problem is, we are complex creatures. We could simply wipe out ourselves by being selfish, greedy, and careless. When I learn about how close we are to a tipping point that we might not be able to control, I start to think again. Are we going to let this happen? Are we going to simply kill ourselves, our family, our friends, our future family, and our future family’s friends? Why don’t people care enough to change simple habits? How did everybody get this way? Then, I look at history. We have always been this way. But, changing only takes hope and love. I love life and I hope that we change. There’s a start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment