I know that organic food can be expensive. If all of the costs that surround the creation of non-organic food was known and added to the price of that food, then organic food would be the cheaper option; but, that is a whole other story. Our economy, and the rest of the world’s economy, is so bad right now and the fact that our middle class is turning into an extension of our lower class (while the higher class just continually gets higher) is making it so that the normal citizen is not able to afford the constant higher cost that organic food brings to the table (pun intended). With that being said, most people will have to continue to buy non-organic food until things, hopefully, change in our economy, culture and collective human outlook/perception. For that reason, people should know how to handle their non-organic fruits and veggies that they are forced to buy.
First, you do not have to pick veggies and fruits that look perfect. If there is a bug bite out of a pepper then that could mean that the pepper had fewer pesticides on it for the bug to be able to survive to eat some of it.
Second, look for the types of food that are the least deformed.
Third, when you bring them home ALWAYS wash the food thoroughly. You want to make sure to get as much of the pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals off of the food before you put it in your body. I always take a knife and scrape the outside of my peppers, apples, etc. under warm water so that I am sure that I take off most of the chemicals before I ingest them.
These are things that you should always do when buying fruits and veggies if you cannot afford organic ones. Just a few steps in order to help you stay away from one of the many environmental hazards of today.
No comments:
Post a Comment