When I told my friends that it would be a good idea to make a rain
barrel most of them laughed in my face. Most of them wondered why I would ever
want to do such a thing. They thought it was "pointless" and that I
just wanted to do it so that I could be a "penny-pincher". The
linkage of saving pennies and collecting rainwater seemed to be the most common
thoughts toward this idea. Although I understand their point of view that
spending time and energy creating something that is meant to save a few bucks
might seem to be over-the-top, I still think it is them that do not understand
the whole concept. Water is becoming very scarce around the world. People are
predicting that there are going to be many water shortages in the U.S. by 2013.
If you did not know, that is only about 6 months away from now. The winters
have been warmer and the summers have been hotter. Water has, and is going to
continue, to dry with the new, year round, higher temperatures. If you were to
have a 60-gallon drum to save water you would be surprised how fast it got
filled up. If you had a very unlikely sized rooftop of about 200 square feet
you would be able to fill up that 60-gallon drum with only a half of an inch of
rainfall. Two hundred square feet is approximately the size of a parking spot
ladies and gentlemen. Simply setting up multiple rain barrels at your house
will give you the ability to save massive amounts of non-chlorinated water to
do any of the following: water plants, save money, use to rinse of
hands/feet/tools/cars, clean and treat to use for shower/drinking water, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment