Overfishing. When I was growing up I never thought that
there would be a word such as, overfishing. I always knew that the world was
mostly water and I would always go fishing and saw how many fish were in little
ponds; so I could only imagine how many were in the ocean. But, the truth is
overfishing is very real. We have ruined certain lakes, streams, rivers, and
other bodies of water all around the world with pollution. That means we have
brought down the fish population a ton. Also, we have found such good ways to
fish that we have actually fished too much. Now we are actually taking too much
fish out of the array of bodies of water. Some fishing companies use huge nets,
either on the bottom or top of the water, to go and scoop up the fish. Even
helicopters are used to find schools of fish and tell the workers on the boat
where those fish are.
Since some of the fish populations are too low to fish,
fishing companies have moved towards genetically modifying fish and feeding
them certain foods so that they grow faster and become bigger. As everyone knows
there are more people on the earth no than ever before, so fish demand is high
but the populations are low. The impacts of overfishing can be grave.
If you
want to learn the extent of overfishing, click here.
If you want to
see a video that shows consequences of overfishing, click here.
No comments:
Post a Comment